Back some months, my team at work took personality tests to make us more aware of how we are and how we function at work. My results indicated that I have streaks of perfectionism within my nature. The test indicated that I am very focused on the quality of products, almost to a fault, and I freely admit that between releasing a flawed product and no product at all, I much prefer the latter and attempt to avoid at all costs the former.
I agreed with this assessment and in considering my performance in professional settings, I have always prided myself on being the "hole poker"-- the one that points out the flaws in process or design in the hopes that my "input" is a benefit to the overall outcome.
However, following some slightly negative reviews and with deeper consideration of the true benefits of these actions, I realize that I'm really just being lazy and fatalistic. I'm basically a personification of the idea "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." I'm realizing that in immediate tasks, I should continue to analyze the benefits/flaws of my actions and products. But that when I find flaws, I should be more proactive in finding/suggesting solutions.
I think this relates to life too-- and thus this change in attitude complements some of the things that I'm trying to take-on/accomplish in my life. I think that my work progress thus far has been mediocre; however, I think that I could have been and that I should be looking into extracurricular tasks/projects/activities to buttress my experiences and professional skills.
I'm happy to have made this revelation and I'm hopeful that this will guide me as I try to make much-needed changes in my life.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment